Church History

FPCPictures 206History of Our Church

The city of Leavenworth, KS, was founded in 1854, and one year later, the first Presbyterian sermon was preached. During the next 20 years, United, Cumberland, and Westminster Presbyterian Churches were also established, then merged or gradually disappeared.

In the meantime, Leavenworth was growing and so was First Presbyterian, moving several times until the present building was erected and then dedicated on January 3, 1909. Today, the exterior looks very much like it did originally with one exquisite Tiffany window and others equally beautifully in the Tiffany style. The most dramatic change was the removal of the bell tower in the 1960s for structural reasons.

The interior of the church has undergone many renovations and updates over the years. Nevertheless, a member of the 1909 congregation would still feel at home worshipping in the
sanctuary today. As needs have changed, so have programs evolved over the years. The commitment of First Presbyterian to its mission remains the same: to serve the Lord in our
congregation, our community, and our world.


Leavenworth Times Article on our 100th Anniversary

 

© 2017 First Presbyterian Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community